There are few alive of the third generation to tell the Flannigan
story. Those who are alive find it difficult to remember early times
and events. Those of us who should have listened more closely and
remembered more, let the moments pass . . . . young people grow
so soon old and so late smart.
The sources for this narrative come from various records of state
and church, newspapers, census, historical research and legal documents.
These bits and pieces and our theories have been woven into our
family record of the first two generations of the Flannigans in
This is not a finished recounting. Family stories and events will
surface which will broaden the knowledge of the family, for a family
history is a never-ending project. We welcome any new facts, elaborations
The following is a beginning effort to record and preserve our
The Immigration Years
Our roots are anchored in Ireland. The Irish potato famine in 1847
had taken its toll; this coupled with English tyranny kindled discontent
and turmoil. Many Irish families faced the decision whether to stay
and face poverty and political oppression or emigrate to the United
States. The lure of a better life beckoned many Irish to the far
land and the fair land and the rainbow's end. The decision to leave
was far better than the alternative.
The triumph of hope prevailed for our adventuresome great grandparents
who were willing to take the chance. James and Margaret took the
|b. not known
||b. , 1823
|d. not known
||d. April 10, 1877
The first recorded date we have in the Flannigan chronicle is 1823.
It is the birth year of our great grandmother, Margaret Crowe.(1)
Nothing has been researched about the Crowes and Flannigans in Ireland.
This search must come in the future from Irish records.
According to Irish standards, James and Margaret's families were
cultured. James was a "Hedgerow" teacher. He taught in
the various homes because England decreed there would be no schools
in Ireland. He valued and shared knowledge. His teaching gave him
the opportunity to travel and converse and be atoned with the activists
of his time. He instilled a thirst and appreciation for knowledge
in all who knew him. Word-of-mouth carried successes of Margaret's
family in the performing arts.
James and Margaret Crowe were married in approximately 1840 in
Ennis, County Clare, Ireland. They came to the United States about
They left their first born son, Michael W., with Margaret's parents
and hoped to send for him as soon as they were settled and could
provide for him.
We believe they entered at the Port of Boston because their second
son, John B., was born in Hollowell, Maine on July 4, 1849.
An excerpt from Irish Settlers in America by Michael J. O'Brien
refers to the Irish in Maine:
|The early Irish settlers in Maine engaged in farming and
lumbering. Deprived at home of ownership in the soil they seemed
here to seek, first of all, each his own home and lot of land.
When the era of railroad building and steamboating arrived and
when the factory system was being installed in New England labor
was what this country most needed, and labor was the stock and
trade of the Irish who came to America in mighty hosts after
the failure of the potato crop in 1845 and the famine in 1847.
From this time the Irish colonies were to be found wherever
large projects of industry were in any stage of development.
They cleared the forests, dug the corrals, built the railroads,
and manned the steamships—they were builders in every
sense of the word.
We know James and Margaret lived in Hollowell, Maine for a short
time. We also know that they lived in Chicago because their third
child, Mary Eugenia, was born there.2
They journeyed on to St. Paul, Minnesota where Margaret had a sister.
They lived with Margaret's sister for a short time and then purchased
a home at St. Anthony just ten miles away. St. Anthony was a vigorous,
booming village on the East bank of the Mississippi River. It had
the potential for industrial development because it was adjacent
to the magnificent water power of the falls. St. Anthony had also
been selected for the site of the new University of Minnesota. The
first bridge which ever spanned the Mississippi River at any point
was built in 1854; it connected St. Anthony and the West bank—later
to be known as Minneapolis.
At the time James and Margaret moved there it was predominantly
an Irish settlement. They settled at Bridge Square at the end of
Nicollet Avenue and Hennepin Street. The village still had a town
pump. (Twenty years later, in 1872, St. Anthony was merged with
Now it seemed that James and Margaret were settled. A fourth child,
James E., was born in St. Anthony in 1853.
James and Margaret had four children:
b. September 12, 1842
b. July 4, 1849
Since Mary Eugenia died at an early age, we will chronicle her
short life. She entered the convent of the Sisters of St. Joseph
of Corondelet in 1867 and died May 8, 1871. She died at 20 years
of age of consumption.
Michael visited his sister at the convent and found her on her
knees scrubbing the floor. Michael’s famous Irish temper erupted.
A visit to the Mother Superior insured him his sister would not
be scrubbing floors again or any such tasks.
When James and Margaret sailed to the United States in 1848, they
left their first son, Michael W., in Ireland with Margaret's parents.
Any early formal education he received was during this time with
his grandparents. The plan was that James and Margaret would send
for him as soon as they were settled. In 1853 they sent the money
for his steamship fare. They looked forward with anticipation and
joy to his arrival. We can imagine the anguish and disappointment
when the passage money they sent was used for the fare of Margaret's
sister and she arrived instead. (Julia Crowe listed in the 1857 Minnesota
census is probably the aunt who came that first year.)
James and Margaret were furious. (Folklore indicated they pushed
the aunt in the river.)
In 1855, Michael W. finally arrived to join his family. Now the
family was united. They continued to live at St. Anthony parish
and attended the St. Anthony of Padua Church (804 2nd Street Northeast,
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55413).
Our first firm documented data was the 1857 Special Minnesota Census dated September 20, 1857. (The first Special Census was taken to provide a basis of representation in the territorial legislature. Minnesota became a state May 11, 1858.) It showed:
| Margaret Flannigan
(James was not listed in the 1857, 1860 or 1870 census records.)
The 1860 Minnesota Census listed Margaret and the following children:
Value of Real Estate $800
Value of Personal Property $25
A rooming house for young men in another census tract that same year listed:
| Michael W. Flannigan
The 1870 Minnesota Census listed:
| Flannigan, Margaret
Michael W. Flannigan
||James and Margaret
|b. 12 Sept 1842
||b. 04 Jul 1849
|d. 29 Nov 1916
||d. 12 Apr 1915
||d. 08 May 1871
||d. 01 Jan 1922
|b. 04 Dec 1857
|d. 31 Jan 1945
||d. 23 Apr 1943
The Seed Was Sown
Here begins the story of our grandfather, Michael W. Flannigan, as we have pieced his life together. Recollections of our Aunt Mary (Michael's first daughter) have added to this account. Aunt Mary now lives in Tucson, Arizona.
Michael was twelve years of age when he courageously left the security and love of his grandparents in Ireland and set sail for the United States in 1855. We believe he entered at the Port of New York.
When young Mike arrived at St. Anthony, he quickly adjusted to a new country, a new language and a new family. Two brothers and a sister had been born since he had last seen his father and mother. He was eager to become a part of his new home. He was a quick learner and picked up the English language readily-but never lost a bit 'o the Gaelic.
For James, his father, the dream of the good life had not really materialized. He could not use his professional art of teaching and he lacked experience in jobs demanding trade skills.
Another rainbow beckoned to him; gold was discovered in California in 1849. This discovery challenged James' imagination for quick riches and he left the family (1856-1857). The story handed down was that he traveled around "The Horn." The tale continued that James traveled with his brother who was lame. When they joined the groups traveling to the gold fields in California, it was necessary for the two to walk all night to keep up with the main body that progressed during the day.
James never returned to his family nor was he able to share any gold from his venture. It was told that James died and was buried at Plymouth, Amadore County, California. We have not substantiated this.
James' departure from the family left a tremendous responsibility on Margaret. She now had to provide for her four children without any solid economic base. The 1857 census showed her, the head of household.
Mike was the oldest and it fell to his lot to take the place of James in setting the family course. He was reliable and resourceful and quick to realize the demands of the market place. It took wit, hard work and determination.
The carefree days of youth were over for young Mike. One of the major sources for our research was from the following obituaries of the Stuart, Nebraska Advocate and the Minneapolis Star-Tribune at Mike's death on Thanksgiving Day, November 29, 1916.
These articles chronicled events which were important in his life. We have researched each of these areas for additional data.
St. Anthony and St. Paul situated on the Mississippi and the hub of river traffic, were as a magnet to young Mike. He gravitated to the river area where activity abounded in passenger travel, freighting, and lumbering. In 1857 there were twenty-four steamers tied up at the wharf at St. Paul at one time. This was the short time before the railroads were built.
Mike's first work experience began at age 14. He was a cabin boy on the Henry M. Rice passenger steamship which operated between St. Paul and Sauk Rapids.
A note on Henry M. Rice for whom the steamer was named. Henry M. Rice was a political figure. He was delegate from the Territory of Minnesota to Congress in 1856. Minnesota's elevation to statehood as a "free" state caused great political disturbance because it would upset the balance of southern "slave" status. Minnesota won out as a "free" state.
Henry M. Rice was chosen as the first U.S. Senator from Minnesota. He had the distinction of being one of two democratic senators sent to Washington by Minnesota in 50 years.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Mike earned the money to support his family. He was a summer raftsman and worked with pine lumbering crews on the Mississippi. Typical of the oldest son in an Irish family, Mike took charge. He saw that his mother was provided for and his brothers and sister were educated.
On the following pages is an article written as a news release for the Monticello Times , May 21, 1857. The writer commented on the new owner from St. Anthony.
We believe it significant to mention the close ties between Mike and Jim Crowe. They were cousins and near the same age. These two young men planned and daydreamed many a venture because their "trial baloons" and risks paralleled each other. They were probably fellow passengers on the same ship coming to the United States. They lived at the same rooming house in the 1860 census, and perhaps worked together. They both joined the Fisk Expedition. Later their names appeared on land grant documents (one being a tree claim on The Red Bird Creek, Holt County, Nebraska).
Undaunted by the failure of his colonization scheme of 1865, Fisk prepared for a larger expedition to go west the following summer. During January, 1866, he issued a four-page circular from St. Paul making known his plans. On the first page he advertised:
HO! FOR MONTANA!
THE RICHEST GOLD COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
CAPTAIN FISK'S 4TH EXPEDITION
IS, NOW FITTING OUT IN MINNESOTA
and will start about 25th of May, 1866
Mike and Jim Crowe were inspired to join the fourth, largest and last James L. Fisk Expedition in May of 1866 from St. Cloud, Minnesota to Fort Benton, Montana. Some of the emigrants agreed to $100 charge for subsistence and were allowed 50 pounds of baggage. Others provided their own teams, equipment and provisions, and paid $10 for the protection afforded by
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
THE H. M. RICE, ST. ANTHONY TO SAUK RAPIDS
St. Paul, May 6th, 1857
This city, at present, is a poor place for writing. Railroads and where they shall go seems to be the absorbing topic. I have just closed an hour's talk with the Committee in reference to OUR road, and now I will spend an hour in writing an account of OUR boat, for so we are pleased to call the H. M. Rice.
This fine steamer has just been purchased by Geo. F. Brott and E. L. Hall, the former of St. Cloud and the latter of St. Anthony. From what we could see we was impressed with the idea that the proprietors have a picked crew. We found N. P. Kerr, a very carefel, obliging and gentlemanly Captain, and seems to have the respect of all under his command. It is not necessary to say that Lafayette Brown, who acts as Clerk, is an obliging gentlemen, for all who have had occasion to call for letters at the St. Anthony Post Office within the last two years, can testify to that. The Pilot, Lu. McDonald as he is familiarly called, knows every foot of the river from St. Anthony to Sauk Rapids, and where he wants the boat to go, there she goes. As to the first mate, all that is necessary to say by way of introducing him to the boating public is that he is the son of his father, and his father is Captain. We can certainly congratulate the proprietors on having as good an engineer as runs the river, in the person of John McCouslin. As to the deck hands we need only to say, they were willing to work hard the second night without sleep, (having run all night on the return trip) to get the passengers through, especially those of our sorrowing friends, Mrs. Smith and her relatives, who, amid tears of sympathizing friends and the slow tolling bell of the boat, looked perhaps for the last time upon our lovely town, then glided away en route for Michigan to bury the idol of her widowed heart - the light of her home - her own dear Kate, on whose cheeks had so lately bloomed the roses of eighteen summers. We wish the H. M. Rice all possible success; but we hope the time may never come when she will again bear from OUR shore a burden so recious.
Prior to this this the H. M. Rice has not maintained a very enviable reputation, owned as she was by a large company of stockholders, and what was everybodys business, thus necessarily became no body's business, hence she was of but little benefit to the public, and less to her owners; but now she not only meets the demands of the public, but satisfies the most enlarged desires of her proprietors: as by reference to her books, she pays $500 per trip, and this before the business season fairly commences. As to the size and comforts she will compare favorably with the lower river boats. Such a boat cannot fail to impress the crowds of strangers who throng her decks with the greatness of the country and the importance of the many flourishing towns, with whose interest she is so intimately identified.
By reference to her books I find thar Monticello furnishes about one half be trade. She will make her regular trips during the boating season, leaving St. Anthony every Monday and Thursday mornings, at 10 o'clock. In my nexi I will give you some of the workings of the rail road; as yet, we stand a fair chance for one of the roads.
S. T. C.
May 21, 1857
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
the expedition. We believe Mike and Jim paid the $10.
The four Fisk Expeditions have been well-documented since Congress appropriated funds to study a northern stage line and railway access route West.
When Sioux Indian uprising and fighting forced the expedition to disband near Fort Benton, Mike and Jim headed for the Missouri River and boated down to Sioux City on their return to Minnesota. Bloody battles and heroic efforts were not for them.
These adventuresome young men left the "Big Sky" country to discover the "Big American Desert." By no means had they given up. Here was another promising future. They saw open land and green rolling hills as far as the eye could see.
Land looked better than the gold that had eluded them. They were young! They were enthusiastic! They were survivors! The good, rich earth meant opportunity and independence. The seed was sown!
Eventually they returned to establish roots.
Years later at family dinners and gatherings, the stories recounted from these two young men on their quest for gold were told and retold with great hilarity. With each telling, a few improvements were added to the original gem. (We loved the Jim Crowe stories. To us, Jim Crowe was a real Lewis and Clark type.)
The Red Bird Years
In the meantime following the Fisk Expedition fiasco, Mike returned to Minneapolis. He established a partnership with his brother, John B. The Minneapolis City Directory 1871-1874 lists:
Flanigan Bros. Prop.
North Star Marble and Granite Works
(John B. and Michael W.) Flanigan
This venture into the monument enterprises added to Mike's resume of experience but the partnership lasted only three years.
The 1875 Minneapolis City Directory lists:
Flanigan and Co.
J. B. Flanigan and T. J. Mertlik, Prop.
North Star Marble and Granite Works
323 1st Avenue South
(The same directory lists Mrs. Margaret Flanigan, r. 417 North 4th.)
The association with monuments probably accounts for the elaborate cemetery markers and elegant family stone in the Flannigan circle at St. Anthony's Cemetery in Minneapolis.
Following Mike's business venture with his brother, John, the three brothers decided to spell their last name with variations to avoid mix-ups in business, legal matters and mail. The result was:
Michael W. Flannigan
John B. Flanigan
James E. Flanagan
In one of Mike's visits to his sister, Mary Eugenia, at St. Joseph's convent he met Mary Gibbons. She was visiting her sister, Catherine Agatha.
Mary was a tall, handsome girl with warmth and a loving nature. Mike's instinct for knowing a winner recognized she, too, had an adventurous spirit and would share his love and ambitions.
Mary was born in Elmira, New York and had come West with her parents, Patrick and Brigit (Casey) Gibbons. Mike and Mary were married April 15, 1872.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Mike's marriage introduced him to Mary's cousin, Louis Nash, who was dealing in real estate in the expanding and developing city of Minneapolis. Stimulated by the inpouring of people and the demand for land, real estate speculation was a craze. Fortunes were made in months and weeks. Louis Nash gave Mike advice to invest in real estate. Mike took his advice and in so doing realized enough money to turn back to the available homestead land near Sioux City he had seen earlier on his return from the Fisk trip.
Mike and Mary's first son, John Michael, was born in Minneapolis July 15, 1873. They continued to live there until 1875.
Now Mike and Mary made their decision to build their hopes on the acquisition of land. Their first land purchase at Salix, Iowa (16 miles South of Sioux City). Here their second child, Mary Eugenia, was born May 4, 1876. She died February 23, 1877.
In June of 1877, Mike and Mary acquired tree claims 4 on the Red Bird Creek just North of O'Neill, Nebraska and 30 miles South of Yankton, South Dakota.
History of the State of Nebraska , Volume II, p. 988 gave us this information:
Leonie-This post office is situated on Red Bird Creek about 15 miles northeast of O'Neill. It is on the level prairie and is surrounded by an excellent grazing country. The first settler was John McClellan in June 1877. Michael Flannigan moved here in July.
The city of Leonie is no longer on the map.
Their home on the Red Bird was the typical frontier sod construction. (The 1880 Nebraska Census included their names in Leonie, Nebraska precinct.)
Mike's interests were in ranching. As a cattleman, this took him into O'Neill which was the business center of the county. He was an absentee rancher. His overseer attended to the ranching functions. His interests were in O'Neill where he engaged in small loans and banking activities. His accounts were detailed and meticulous. Aunt Mary still has his account books.
Entries in his account book involved substantial wagers he made on Cleveland in the second term of the Grover Cleveland and Benjamin Harrison election in 1892. The sweet smell of victory was a financial coup. Yes, Mike had the instincts and timing of a gambler . . . with a little bit o' luck.
An interesting detail of the Red Bird years concerned a young man, Thomas Kerns, who helped Mary on the ranch taking care of the daily chores. She encouraged him to go West and take his chances on a better life in the mines. He did. The Utah State Historical Society chronicled his success.
The stately mansion at 603 E. South Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah was built in 1899 by Thomas Kearns. His story is the typical Horatio Alger epic, from "rags to riches." He was born in Canada but moved to O'Neill, Nebraska as a child. The gold and silver mining strikes of the West were an irresistible magnet to him as a youth. In 1883 he headed West. He was only 28 years old when the Silver King mine in Park City, Utah came through and he was catapulted into great wealth.
He was a State Senator. In 1937, Mrs. Kearns deeded the elegant, 32-room mansion to the state for use as a governor's mansion. It is still so used.
In 1883 Mike and Mary moved in to O'Neill. Mary was a social and high-spirited girl and did not favor ranch life while Mike was away on business and taking on civic duties in O'Neill. Mike was elected to three terms as Holt County Commissioner and served as Chairman for two years.
In financial dealings Mike was recognized with qualities of honesty and integrity. He never forgot a kindness. He was known to be particularly sympathetic to widows who needed small loans. Probably he remembered his own mother's needs.
During this period, three children were born:
| Michael J.
||June 16, 1879
||February 18, 1883
||July 1, 1886
Mary missed her first son, John Michael, who was with his grandmother Gibbons in Minneapolis in order to attend school. She missed the social city life and her family-the Nashs, McCauleys, Meaghers, Caseys, Gibbons, and Johns family. Jokingly it was said that every third person was a cousin.
In 1890 Mike and Mary built a large, comfortable home in Minneapolis at 502 Bryant Avenue North and moved into their new home.
The Minneapolis Years
Mary could now pursue her own special interests and talents. She participated in church affairs. She had a lovely contralto voice and sang in the Sacred Heart Church choir. She demonstrated an unusual gift in the art of hand-painted china, not only dinner sets and tea sets but beautiful vases and dresser sets. Her hand-painted flowers on china pieces painted between 1890 and 1910 are now family heirlooms.
Mary was a connoisseur of design and quality of Irish lace and linens. One of her great hobbies was attending rug auctions; through study and association she became an expert in judging weaves, color, pattern design and quality of oriental rugs. From this knowledge she was able to make many fine purchases.
There were four more children born:
| Mary Brigit
|| January 9, 1893
| Albert Edmond
|| April 4, 1896
| Francis Newman
|| October 21, 1898
| Katherine Agatha
|| October 20, 1901
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Mike and Mary were now financially independent and enjoyed traveling. They were free to spend winters in warmer climates. They liked Hot Springs, Arkansas and California. The children were now in boarding schools; Mary and Katherine were at The Mound, a Dominican girls school at Sinsinawa, Wisconsin and their sons were in colleges and universities.
Family life and togetherness were resumed in the summers at their cottage on Maple Lake. The home on Bryant Avenue was the crossroads for family gatherings, visitors and stopovers.
Mike and Mary never served hard liquor in their home. Mike did not drink. He was very firm on this; in fact, he never allowed liquor in the house.
Mike built a three-story building at 305 Marquette where his brother, John B., operated a first class casino. By this time, John B. and Annie Gormley, a Minneapolis socialite, were married. They had eight children.
James E., Mike's younger brother, received his law degree from the University of Minnesota. He was nicknamed "Judge." He never married. He was a charter member of the Minneapolis Elks Club and resided at the Club.
The mutual feeling of kinship of the original Irish immigrants was never lost. Mike loved his childhood friends from Ireland-Mrs. Quinlan and Fred and John P. Hoy.
Mike never complained when Mary outfitted their two daughters for boarding school at Young-Quinlan, a ladies' high-fashion specialty store. (Elizabeth Quinlan was the daughter of his old friend.)
Mike was a great reader and accumulated a fine library. He was particularly interested in history. He was a great admirer of Napoleon Bonaparte and Ulysses S. Grant, and had many books on these two famous men in his library.
Mike's interest and financial support of the Clan na Gael gave him much pleasure. From Irish-American Nationalism by Thomas M. Brown:
The Clan na Gael was founded in June 1867 by Jerome J. Collins to bury Fenian factionalism. By 1870 it was the most powerful Irish revolutionary society in the United States.
The Clan profitted from Fenian mistakes. Every effort was made to avoid the cult of personalities and to maintain secrecy.
Admission to each Clan camp was by recommendation only and was accomplished through Masonic-like rites in which among other things the candidate had to profess a belief in God.
Camps elected their officers, known as Junior and Senior Guardians, and were grouped in districts pre sided over by district officers. After 1877, a joint revolutionary directory bound together the Clan and the Irish Republican Brotherhood.
Throughout 1870, the Clan kept its secrets. In the 1880's its inner life was periodically exposed as scandals multiplied and secrets exposed to journalists which provided humorous material.
After ten years of existence, the organization had a membership of 10,000. Leadership was drawn from medicine, law, journalism and skilled-trade unions.
Clan strategy was based on the assumption that sooner or later England would be involved in a war that could offer an opportunity for an armed uprising in Ireland.
While Mary stayed in Minneapolis to care for the family, Mike looked for a location for their oldest son, John Michael, who had just graduated from Notre Dame University in 1894. John had been offered a position with the Bank of America in Los Angeles. His father felt exposure to banking in Holt County, Nebraska would be better so he sent John to The First National Bank in O'Neill, Nebraska to gain experience in banking business.
In 1896, Mike incorporated and opened the Citizens Bank in Stuart, Nebraska followed by the opening of a bank in Bassett and one in Long Pine. Mike's other sons, James E. and Frank N., and his daughter, Mary B., joined the staff in the Stuart bank. Son Michael J. was in charge of the Long Pine State Bank and Albert E. was placed in the Bassett State Bank. Patrick Gibbons was established in the Stockman's Bank in Hot Springs, South Dakota and later in Smithwick, South Dakota in a bank and lumberyard. In addition to the established chartered banks, bank offices were maintained at Springview, Naper and Burton, Nebraska.
These were good years; the sons were married and established. In addition to banking they also negotiated two successful cattle drives.
It was said by those who knew Mike and Mary that they were a handsome couple. When they entered a room, they made an entrance. They had an aristocratic air-impressive and commanding.
We have a family portrait of Mike, Mary and family, as well as one of Mike and his two brothers.
All of the family gathered together on Thanksgiving Day in 1916. Later that evening Mike passed away peacefully and serenely-on November 29, 1916. He was 74 years of age.
After Mike's death in 1916 Mary sold the Minneapolis home and moved to Stuart, Nebraska where her family and family interests were now centered.
She built a large frame home in 1918, which she later gave to St. Boniface Church as a convent for the school sisters of St. Francis.
In 1923 she built a second home in Stuart. At this time her interest was in the acquisition of select Chinese furnishings. The library and living room were completely furnished with elaborately hand carved and inlaid teak furniture. Striking blue and gold oriental dragon design rugs, Chinese wall hangings, an exquisite paneled screen, original pictures and lovely art objects completed the decor.
Mary entertained graciously with style. She was famous for her splendid "after the dance" midnight suppers. Her corned beef was a gourmet delight. The traditional family recipe had been handed down from her mother and grandmother-built on a pinch of this, a dash of that and a touch of bravado.
Summers were always a special and social time. Mary had built a cottage at Hidden Paradise Resort at Long Pine, Nebraska as well as her sons, John and Mike. These were glorious times and Mary's cottage was the hub and center of activity for visiting family and friends. There were always good conversation, lively discussions and laughter. Irish wit and family yarns surfaced on many occasions.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Mary lived with her daughter, Katherine, in Santa Fe, New Mexico for several years. She then moved to Los Angeles to live with her daughter, Mary. Here she built a third home of her own design in the San Fernando Valley.
Mary died at the age of 88 on January 31, 1945.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reflecting over the lives of Mike and Mary, they were products of their time-a time that developed men and women to meet every challenge. They were in harmony with the new vigorous country and matched it with their own ambitions. Their lives were shaped and spanned the wonderful years of realizing limitless possibilities.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
We have made no attempt to produce a detailed history of our first two generations; we touched briefly upon the significant events covering a small period of time. It's a beginning. Those of us who follow must add to this narrative.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Any research you have done would be appreciated to add to the third and subsequent generations' saga. Hopefully we can share material.
Mary E. & Ethel C. Flannigan
Resources for Tracing
Our Family Tree
Census Records 1857, 1860, 1870
St. Anthony Cemetery Record.
Henry M. Rice Research
John B. Flanigan's Will
Tree Claim Documentation
Cemetery marker dates
Birth and death certificates
James L. Fisk Expeditions
Irish American Nationalists
Nebraska Bank Charters
St. Joseph of Corondelet Archives
Minneapolis City Directory
California Historical Society
Minneapolis Historical Society
Nebraska Historical Society
Utah Historical Society
Minneapolis Public Library
Nebraska State History
Ho! For The Gold Fields
by Helen McCann White
A Half Century of Minnesota
by Horace B. Hudson (1908)
1 - Source: Cemetery marker, St. Anthony's Cemetery, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
2 - From records of Sisters of St. Joseph of Corondelet.
3 - Death certificates.
4 - Land Grant Record, Nebraska Historical Society.